sports baseball

IU evens series with 3-2 win against Minnesota

IU players watch the action from the dugout during a game against Minnesota on Friday at Sembower Field. IU lost 12-5.

Behind 10 strikeouts from junior pitcher Eric Arnett, the Hoosiers evened their Big Ten opening series with Minnesota with a 3-2 win Saturday at Sembower Field.

IU is now 8-15 on the season with a 1-1 mark in the Big Ten while Minnesota drops to 14-7, 1-1 in conference.

Outside of a first inning, solo home run by Minnesota's Derek McCallum, Arnett was dominant all nine innings. He gave up just two earned runs on 129 pitches.

Down 2-0 in the fifth inning, the Hoosiers finally got on the board with the bases loaded. A walk drawn by freshman third baseman Vince Gonzalez brought home sophomore outfielder Kipp Schutz.

In the sixth inning, junior catcher Josh Phegley got a lead-off walk. Freshman outfielder Alex Dickerson brought Phegley home with a two-run, opposite-field home run.

Continued excellent pitching from Arnett allowed the Hoosiers to hold on for a 3-2 victory. He struck out a swinging Minnesota batter to end the game.

IU and Minnesota will complete their three-game series at 1 p.m. Sunday on Sembower Field.

See idsnews.com and the Inside Pitch blog for full coverage of the IU baseball team.