Improvement marks Taber’s senior year

There was a time not so long ago when the sound of Chuck Crabb announcing Kyle Taber’s entry into an IU basketball game cued the slow, mass exodus of fans from all corners of Assembly Hall.

Such a time has passed.

Taber, a former walk-on whose knees dictated he spend five years in college, will be the lone celebrant during today’s Senior Night festivities.

But in a departure from what anyone could have expected two years ago, IU will bid goodbye to a regular starter tonight, not just an adored seat-filler.

“It’s going to be special, sad and exciting at the same time,” Taber said Monday. “I’m ready for it, though. It’s my fifth year here, so I knew it was coming sooner or later.”

A man thrust into the most unexpected of positions – team leader – by last year’s foolishness, Taber only returned 34 points from his previous four seasons at IU (one redshirted).

To this point late in the season, he’s performed admirably, according to coaches and teammates.

“I’m proud to have coached him,” IU coach Tom Crean said Monday. “I’ve been demanding of him, as our whole staff has.”

Such leadership is probably not what Mike Davis expected Taber to have shouldered when he picked him as a walk-on five years ago. But even more unexpected is what Taber has become: a contributor.

Again, I bring to your attention the 34 career points scored, then I turn your attention to the 339 percent increase in points in just one year.

Also, take note of the 5.2 rebounds per game, and the team-high 27 steals.
Yes, that last number is a team high.

The fact is, right before your eyes, Kyle Taber has grown up.

No, he won’t be on any All-Big Ten ballots, but Taber has emerged from his shell as an afterthought in the second-to-last seat to give Crean’s young team a legitimate option on either end of the floor.

Taber will never send you home with stars in your eyes, but his footwork and increased confidence around the rim have earned him the deserved respect of a hard-working role player.

Crean praised his lone senior on Monday for his leadership by example, citing Taber’s willingness to play through a painful ankle injury Saturday against Penn State as an example of such senior guidance.

“It’s very fitting that he is playing his best basketball as the season winds down,” Crean said. “It’s a great sign of improvement. It’s a great sign of someone that has continued to buy in day in and day out and get better.”

And Taber has gotten better. His averages in points, rebounds, assists and steals per game are all career bests, and he’s started 20 of the Hoosiers’ 28 games to date.

But the most impressive part of the evening for a man more often scoffed at than screamed for, Taber will get his well-deserved moment of respect.

Now if he would take Tijan Jobe up on the junior center’s offer to write his speech...

Osterman's Prediction: Michigan State 67 - IU 53