Women's swimming & diving kicks off Big Ten conference championship with a pair of 2nd place finishes

IU senior Christina Loukas prepares to hit the water during a dive in the three-meter springboard competition during a dual meet against Purdue on Saturday at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center. Loukas won the event as the No. 13 Hoosiers won 210-159.

Two events, two second-place finishes.

In a conference championship IU coach Ray Looze predicted would be a “dogfight,” the women’s swimming and diving team closed out a brief first evening of action on Wednesday with 68 points, four behind Big Ten frontrunner and defending champion Minnesota.

IU took second behind Wisconsin in the 200-meter medley relay, which started the night off in record-setting fashion. The squad, consisting of Kate Zubkova, Sarah Stockwell, Donna Smailis and Margaux Farrell, posted a time of 1:36.80 seconds, more than two seconds better than IU's former record.

The Hoosiers 200- free record fell when freshman Nikki White touched the wall after her leg of the 800- freestyle relay, propelling her team to a second place finish in the event. Minnesota took first.

Thursday’s events at Michigan’s Canham Natatorium began at 11 a.m. with preliminary trials in the 500-meter free, 200-meter individual medley, 50-yard free and one meter diving.

Finals in each event begin at 6:30 p.m. Check back with IDSnews.com for more updates.
– By Kevin Loughery