Pounding might finally be getting to Pritchard

IU freshman forward Tom Pritchard drives to the basket.

Coming into the conference season, freshman forward Tom Pritchard was a driving force. His scoring – highest among Big Ten freshmen – combined with an impressive if small array of post moves almost assured him the pole position for conference freshman of the year.

But the IU men’s basketball team’s loss to Michigan State highlighted, among other things, that Pritchard hasn’t been the same commanding presence inside in the last month.

The Ohio native finished with nine points and five rebounds, but with Devan Dumes in foul trouble and IU’s offense sputtering, Pritchard was rarely able to free himself and offer an option in the paint that could get things moving smoothly again.

Statistics rarely lie.

While Pritchard has played slightly more minutes in conference (29.6) than out (29.1), he’s averaging two full points less per game in Big Ten play than overall. Using that same basis for comparison, he’s averaging almost a full rebound less per Big Ten game; his field-goal percentage has dropped from 51 percent to 43 percent, and he’s committed more than half of his 71 fouls in conference play.

Moreover, consider the impact of the Spartan bigs: Delvon Roe and Goran Suton combined for 21 points and nine rebounds, and Draymond Green had himself a day off the bench with 15 and 12.

Pritchard’s inability to link up with Kyle Taber and provide an offensive post presence also allowed the Spartans to control both lanes, counting five blocks on the afternoon and pulling down 12 offensive rebounds.

This isn’t to say that any of this is specifically Pritchard’s fault. He’s had to play far more minutes than someone in his position ever should, and most of the season he’s been a rock for a team without any regular relief.

But Pritchard’s declining production in Big Ten play does signal a few possibilities.
First, teams have likely figured out ways to stop Pritchard inside, making IU’s offense painfully one-dimensional and reliant on guard play. That’s great when it’s flowing and nail-biting when it’s not.

Second, Pritchard is slowing down after a tough non-conference schedule and the physicality of Big Ten play, something few freshmen would be able to withstand as long as he has. He averages more minutes per game than anyone else on the team, and only Verdell Jones averages more minutes in conference games specifically.

Third, the lack of a second inside presence has left Pritchard marooned and an easy target. Without someone else to take some pressure off down low, he’s doing the work of two men when he normally wouldn’t even have to do the work of one.

Which of these is it? Well, I can’t make any guarantees, as the powers that be don’t allow us into practices, and one cannot make such judgments based purely on in-game performance.

But if I had to guess, I’d say it’s a mixture of the three. Tijan Jobe, while a lovable fan favorite, certainly has not turned out to be reliable for even a few inside minutes, and Taber will never command attention inside, try as he might.

The Nick Williams/Malik Story down low experiment didn’t work out, and while Williams plays well near the basket, he’s a poor substitute for a legitimate second presence.

Pritchard is the focal point of every opposing team’s inside defense, and he takes a mighty licking every game.

Whatever the explanation might be, the problem is still that there is no one Tom Crean can put on the floor to give Pritchard a break. The Hoosiers’ lack of depth inside is finally coming home to roost, and every time it does, their offense loses an arm.

Like nearly all other problems with this team, next year should be better. Derek
Elston, Bobby Capobianco and possibly Bawa Muniru will be able to lend help inside, and Christian Watford’s mismatched size might draw a few more athletic post players away from Pritchard on defense.

But like nearly all other problems with this team, that is next year. Right now, Tom Pritchard will just have to use the second half of the Big Ten season to toughen himself and start planning next year’s revenge.

Osterman's prediction: MSU 81 - IU 68

Final score: MSU 75 - IU 47