IU could follow NU’s example

IU point guard Daniel Moore directs the Hoosier offense in the first half of Saturday's loss at Purdue. Moore played just five minutes with no points scored.

An untimely foul and a late turnover were all that kept the Hoosiers from beating the Wildcats in their first meeting last month.

A year could be all that separates IU from experiencing the type of turnaround Northwestern is undergoing this season.

While the Wildcats’ story falls short of rags-to-riches, they have rebounded from one of the worst seasons in Big Ten history to become a viable team in a competitive conference, a transformation many win-thirsty IU fans would gladly drink.

Last season, Northwestern went from a team that annually toes the .500 line to a team hovering over the Mendoza Line.

The team from Evanston, Ill., finished 8-22 overall, “low-lighted” by a 1-17 showing in conference play.

Among the pitfalls the Wildcats went through in 2007-2008: a loss to Brown at home, a 42-point slaughtering via Virginia and a 14-game conference losing streak.

Now, with the same coach and, for the most part, the same team, IU coach Tom Crean sees Northwestern as a team “that is playing to get into the NCAA Tournament and playing at a high level.”

With only four conference games remaining, IU (6-20, 1-13) is almost certain to replace the Wildcats in the Big Ten cellar this season, a dwelling the black and purple had occupied for the past two seasons.

Just 12 months off an eight-win season, Northwestern sits at 14-11 and 5-9 in Big Ten play. The team’s record is modest, but the Wildcats are already playing for a postseason bid, an encouraging turnaround for hopeful IU fans.

Unlike some turnarounds, Northwestern hasn’t experienced massive overhauls. The team retained both its head coach, Bill Carmody, and its top three scorers from last season, in addition to other role players.

With a young nucleus and a head coach who just signed a 10-year contract, IU will likely do the same next year.

What Northwestern did change is its schedule. Playing in the Big Ten all but guarantees a tough schedule, unless teams lessen the load by scheduling easy non-conference games, something Crean has repeatedly told reporters he wants to do next year.

With the 288th easiest non-conference schedule in the country, according to kenpom.com,, a Web site that compiles basketball statistics, the Wildcats went 9-2 outside of Big Ten play this year.

This past April, Crean inherited not only a bare roster but the fourth toughest schedule in the country, according to the same site. IU also had the 52nd strongest non-conference schedule in the country this season, facing top teams like Wake Forest and Gonzaga, all while rebuilding at the same time.

“It’s hard doing what we’re asking them to do,” Crean said, “with this record and not having a lot of success and things to fall back on from their past and things of that nature. Frankly, we are asking these guys to do a lot of things that at other places they wouldn’t be asked to.”

Next year, Crean will have a heralded recruiting class to blend with his current roster. Armed with an easier non-conference schedule, the Hoosiers could position themselves to have a chance at .500 basketball next season.

Already, Carmody doesn’t see the Hoosiers sitting in last for long. Since his team’s 77-75 victory against the Hoosiers in Evanston, last month, the Northwestern coach is already seeing signs.

“I think they’ve improved ... certainly it seems like they are playing better,” Carmody said. “They’re making the games longer and they are playing with a lot of enthusiasm. A lot of young guys have gotten minutes. So this time, its not like they are veterans, but they’ve played an awful lot and they’re used to it.”