sports women's basketball

IU breaks 4 game losing streak

IU guard Jamie Braun looks to pass during IU's 64-61 win over Wisconsin  Jan. 15 at Assembly Hall. Braun had 14 points.

Senior Kim Roberson knocked down a 3-pointer to tie the game at 53 with 1.3 seconds left in regulation.

The bucket allowed the Hoosiers to break their four-game losing streak with a 67-61 overtime win Monday night at Wisconsin.

Going into the play, the Hoosiers (16-8, 9-6) looked for junior point guard Jamie Braun, who had the hot-hand most of the night, but Legette-Jack said she knew Roberson had made the shot when it left her hands.

“They decided to leave Kim wide open,” Legette-Jack said. “What they didn’t realize is everyone is great.”

The Hoosiers have played with great balance all season, with nearly all of their starting five averaging in double-figures. Against the Badgers (15-11, 5-10), three of the starters scored in double-figures while the others had eight points each.

After Roberson got them to overtime, Braun hit a 3-pointer to give IU a 60-57 lead with 1:42 remaining in the extra period.

Braun, a native of Marshfield, Wis., played well in her home state, leading the Hoosiers with 20 points.

Roberson played well on the defensive end, blocking the Badgers’ first shot and finishing the game with two steals. Those two steals tie her with senior Whitney Thomas and former player Jenny DeMuth for the all-time Hoosier record of 230.

The Hoosier victory was the team’s first in February.

During the Hoosiers’ four-game losing streak they shot 30.1 percent from the field but stayed close in games with defense.

Monday night the Hoosiers shot 30.4 percent in the first half, but held Wisconsin scoreless during the last 7:05 of the half. The Hoosiers used an 8-0 run to cut an 11-point deficit down to three going into the locker room at halftime. 

The second half started with the Hoosiers finding the bottom of the net, putting in 14 of their 29 shots, and ended with them hitting 75 percent of their free throws.

Legette-Jack said the losses have been tough for her team but also said she hopes this win will give them some confidence moving forward.

“Every time you win it feels great,” she said. “This is going to give us an added boost.”