Crean, Ryan reunite in Big Ten

In a season where only the abnormal seems expected, Tom Crean’s going to get a little piece of homemade comfort tonight. Although one doubts if Bo Ryan is going to make it all that comfortable.

Crean and Ryan, meeting for the first time in Big Ten play, are old foes, dating back to Crean’s days at Marquette. The Badgers and the Golden Eagles squared off annually in a rivalry game between schools just 80 or so miles apart.

Crean was 3-4 against Ryan in his last seven years at Marquette, his last win coming last season against then-No. 5 Wisconsin.

Meeting with the media Wednesday, Crean was magnanimous when speaking about Ryan and their past meetings.

“We might have had rivalries for a long time,” Crean said, “but I’ve always had great respect for how he coaches.”

That rivalry might continue to Crean’s new post, considering the heat and importance that has existed between IU and Wisconsin in the last few years. And while this time might not carry the same ramifications as some recent Hoosier-Badger tilts, it represents one of IU’s best remaining opportunities for a win this season.

The Badgers, winners of their last four, have still had something of a mediocre season by their standards. IU plays much better at home, and if the Hoosiers limit their tendency toward turnovers against a tough Wisconsin defense, they could have a chance.

For his part, Ryan was cagey at best when asked about what he expected from Crean’s young squad.

“I never make games personal or talk about coaches,” Ryan said to the media this week. “Nobody asked me about Todd Lickliter’s team. Nobody asked me about Thad Matta’s teams. I don’t do that.”

I’m not sure what to make of that, but it would appear Ryan hasn’t circled this one in red on his Steve Alford campus celebrity calendar.

One date he probably has taken special notice of, especially given his team’s reentrance into the NCAA picture, is the next game on the schedule: Michigan State at the Breslin Center.

Bo Ryan is an experienced coach with a team full of juniors and seniors, not the type to fall victim to trap games. But their 7-6 Big Ten record also belies, perhaps, a lack of top-level talent to help fend off such upsets, and IU is primed to pull one of its own before the season is out.

Tom Crean’s team has come close at home against Michigan, Minnesota and Ohio State, and Crean knows what to expect from Ryan.

The first-year IU man might respect Ryan up and down – all the more incentive to make this one count.

Osterman's Prediction:
IU - 69 Wisconsin - 64