Beating the turnover bug

Coach Tom Crean smirks while speaking to the media after his first Big 10 victory as IU's head coach Wednesday evening at Assembly Hall.  The Hoosiers defeated the Iowa Hawkeyes 68-60.

All season long, IU has turned the ball over at an alarming rate.

Not last night.

Throughout the conference season, the Hoosiers have struggled to make big stops when they’ve needed it most.

Not last night.

Through eight conference games – no matter how big of a lead or how many fans were in Assembly Hall – IU was winless.

Not anymore.

The Hoosiers (6-15, 1-8) ended their 11-game skid by reversing a series of trends that has crippled them in previous games. From things as important as holding onto the ball to as extraneous as a new pre-game ritual, things were different against Iowa.

One of the team’s biggest flaws has been turnovers, but after coughing it over three times in the first five minutes against the Hawkeyes, IU tied its season-low with just 11 total.

Freshman Nick Williams said individuals tried to do too much early in the game.
“We were holding the ball too much,” Williams said, “and trying to make a play instead of just swinging the ball and just playing basketball.”

The team’s ability to hang on to the ball coupled with their defensive pressure resulted in scoring 11 more points off of turnovers than Iowa.

Another Hoosier killer this season has been the squad’s inability to make a big defensive stop late in close games. But holding on to a four-point lead with less than 30 seconds to play, junior Devan Dumes intercepted a pass by Iowa sophomore Jeff Peterson to lead to an easy bucket that put the Hoosiers up by six.

On the ensuing possession Williams stole the ball and passed it to Dumes, who was fouled and hit both free throws to close the door on any Iowa comeback attempt.

Dumes – who in a similar situation against Northwestern committed a costly foul – acknowledged the importance of his steal.

“It was huge,” Dumes said. “I mean, I knew he was going to try and pass it back. I didn’t really think he was going to shoot the three. Once he released it I knew I had to jump on it, and it was big.”

Even some trends that favor the Hoosiers were reversed. For just the second time in conference play, IU was out-rebounded 32-30. Despite the final victory, Williams laughed off the idea that rebounding wasn’t an important aspect for his team.

“I wouldn’t let Coach hear that,” Williams said. “Don’t let Coach hear that.”

The changing of the guard even started before the game. For the first time all season junior Jeremiah Rivers did a pre-game dance in the team huddle that Williams thinks Rivers got from the movie “Elf.”

With the end result of an IU victory, will Rivers do an encore performance?
“No doubt,” Williams said. “No doubt.”

All of the little adjustments the Hoosiers made added up to their first conference victory. IU coach Tom Crean admitted by changing its ways on the court – and changing its number in the win column – there will be a spring in his step tomorrow.

“Tomorrow will be a little bit different feeling going in to work,” Crean said. “Everybody will be a little lighter.”