Women's swimming and diving team beats OSU, Mizzou, drops 2 spots in rankings

0000-1-829180125

IU senior Allison Kay takes a moment before climbing onto the starting block for a butterfly heat during a double dual against Ohio State and Missouri on Saturday at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center. Buy Photos

“They were two good programs who were well-coached,” IU coach Ray Looze said after the meet. “They swam tough. Our girls are pretty tired. We had to trudge through.”

On paper, the Hoosiers didn’t look tired.

They smashed Ohio State 215-84 and shook off Mizzou, edging off the Tigers 161-139 on the backs of senior diver Christina Loukas, junior Kate Zubkova and senior captain Sarah Stockwell. Loukas took first on the 3-meter springboard, and Zubkova and Stockwell tacked on wins in the 100 back and 100 breast, respectively.

“Personally, I just need to take care of the little things, like my turns, starts and pullouts,” Stockwell said, explaining her personal goals to ensure continued success for the remainder of the season. “I need to go out there and swim my own race and not worry about anyone else.”

The Hoosiers, despite their wins, dropped two spots in the NCAA rankings, falling from No. 11 to No. 13. IU takes on Purdue on Saturday in its final home meet of the season.

“We need to show we can win the Big Ten and just remember we are a force to be reckoned with,” Stockwell said. “We aren’t a little team anymore.”

More in Sports

Fresh Aird

New IU volleyball coach Steve Aird will look to create more than just a winning program during his tenure in Bloomington.