men's basketball

White-out can't help Hoosiers shake 9th straight loss

IU guard Devan Dumes goes up for a shot during the first half of IU's 67-63 loss to No. 21 Minnesota on Sunday at Assembly Hall. Dumes had 19 points in the game.

A near sellout crowd all donning the same t-shirts, a Verdell Jones half-court basket and an early eight-point lead weren’t enough to stop IU’s losing streak.

The Hoosiers (5-13, 0-6) dropped their ninth game in a row, this one against Minnesota 67-63. The competitive game throughout came down to the Golden Gophers’ ability to execute down the stretch; and IU’s inability to.

Trailing 66-63 with 21 seconds left, the Hoosiers had the ball and a chance to tie the game. But after a timeout, the team looked uncertain of what to do with the ball, eventually settling for junior Devan Dumes’ long 3-point attempt with a hand in his face that rimmed out.

Minnesota sophomore Paul Carter sealed the game after coming down with the rebound and making a free throw to put the Golden Gophers up four.

The result spoiled strong efforts from Dumes and freshman Malik Story. Dumes led the team in scoring with 19 points while Story went from only playing three minutes last game to tallying 14 points, many of which came down the stretch to keep the Hoosiers in the game.