sports women's basketball

Hoosiers hope to best Penn State

The IU women's basketball team huddle up to sing the IU fight song before taking the court against Wisconsin on Jan. 15 at Assembly Hall.

After Sunday’s loss to Illinois, 61-52, the IU women’s basketball team will look to get back on track today. 

The Hoosiers (14-4, 7-2), tied for second place in the Big Ten, welcome Penn State (8-10, 3-5) 7 p.m. Thursday at Assembly Hall.

Though the game against Illinois frustrated IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack, she said she wasn’t disappointed in her team’s effort.

“We just didn’t have any legs,” she said. “It wasn’t a lack of effort. We had 20 offensive rebounds. We took 63 shots. We stole the ball 12 times. The ball just wouldn’t go in the hole.”

One thing the Hoosiers will need to correct if they are to achieve a different result from Sunday is to put the ball in the basket. The team shot 28.6 percent from the field, down from their 42.5 percent average. 

Junior point guard Jamie Braun said although the shots did not fall, the team is keeping a positive attitude. 

“It just happened to be one of those games,” Braun said. “Just nothing went right for us. They played really well. Our shots didn’t fall, but I don’t think any of us have hung our heads in yesterday’s practice. We all kept taking the normal shots we take, and they’ll fall sooner or later for us.”

Senior forward Amber Jackson, the Hoosiers’ scoring leader at 14.4 points per game, and Braun shot a combined 7-24 against Illinois. 

Jackson said the loss disappointed the team, but said they need to focus on today’s game. 

“It definitely was a tough loss,” she said. “We have such high expectations for ourselves, but like any other game, once it’s over it’s over.”

Another key for the Hoosiers will be to keep an eye on Penn State junior Tyra Grant. Grant had 17 points Jan. 11 in an 84-77 IU victory in Happy Valley. Grant is second in the conference in scoring at 19.3 points a game. Last Thursday she scorched Wisconsin for 32 points, including the game-winning jumper to complete a 17-point comeback in a 58-56 victory.  

Although Penn State leads the overall series 24-7, IU has won four of the last five matchups.

With IU entering a difficult portion of its schedule, Braun said the team must focus on the current matchup.

“We have three tough games coming up right in a row,” she said. “If we think about the past, it’s not going to bring us any luck or help us out at all. Like Coach Jack always preaches, stay in the present moment.”