An Epic Stroll

Although “Let It Be” would be The Beatles’ last released studio album in 1970, the last actual recordings they did as a band were in 1969 for the “Abbey Road” sessions. 

Frustrated with the “Get Back” session, which would later be turned into “Let It Be,” the estranged group members reunited one last time, determined to finish off their career as the most successful band in history on a high note. 

What followed was arguably their greatest achievement and, for the most part, a return to the stripped-down, rock ‘n’ roll/pop style they had basically created six years prior.  
Generally free of any lavish productions, studio embellishments or tape loops, “Abbey Road” features four band members who had parted ways socially and creatively, coming together – no pun intended, seriously – and playing harmoniously. 

Because of word restrictions, I only have the space to focus solely on the most important part of the album: the medley.  Commonly considered the greatest 16 minutes of rock ‘n’ roll, this conclusion would be epic to any album, much less a career.

It begins with the greatest three-part harmony in the history of rock ‘n’ roll. “Because” may be the Beatles’ slowest song ever recorded, but it is without a doubt one of their most entrancing.  Soon after, we are again treated to another beautiful three-part harmony with “Sun King.” 

The combination of Lennon’s “Mean Mr. Mustard” and “Polythene Pam” are welcome, upbeat songs that spill perfectly into the fun. “She Came in Through the Bathroom Window” continues the pace. 

The last five minutes are nothing less than a perfect, epic ending to an astonishing career.  It features not only Ringo’s only drum solo ever recorded and the greatest three-part guitar solo ever put on tape, but the most perfect last line: “And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.” 

To quote Chris Farley in his famous “Saturday Night Live” sketch, “That was awesome.”