sports men's soccer

Todd Yeagley takes head coaching job at Wisconsin

IU assistant coach Todd Yeagley scans the sidelines shortly before halftime of IU's 4-2 win against Butler on Oct. 24, 2006. Yeagley accepted the head coaching position at Wisconsin on Dec. 18.

IU assistant coach Todd Yeagley officially accepted the head coaching position at Wisconsin, the University announced Thursday.

Yeagley will replace former Badgers coach Jeff Rohrman, who resigned Nov. 18 after seven seasons and a 61-63-12 record, with no teams ever making it to the NCAA Tournament.

Earlier this year, Yeagley was named one of the top 12 assistant coaches by College Soccer News. At IU, he helped guide the Hoosiers to two national titles in 2003 and 2004.

IU head coach Mike Freitag said he is happy for Yeagley, but also saddened by his departure. Freitag expressed confidence in his now-former assistant.

“He has been groomed to be a head coach all his life,” Freitag said. “He’ll always be a part of IU soccer.”

Yeagley is the son of legendary IU coach Jerry Yeagley who coached the Hoosiers to six of their seven total NCAA National Championships.

"It's hard for me to be objective because he's my son," said Jerry Yeagley, "but I've seen a lot of my former players move on to coach, and I couldn't be any more confident than I am for Todd.

"He has the it factor that separates championship-caliber coaches from good coaches."

Todd Yeagley’s move to a conference foe means he will see his former team at least once a year.

“It’ll be strange when we battle in the Big Ten,” Freitag said. “It’ll be a game where the relationship makes it more interesting.”

Jerry Yeagley said he and his wife Marylin will make the trip to Madison, Wis., next season to watch the Hoosiers and Badgers battle.

But he admitted he will always root for the Hoosiers, though the Badgers now have a "strong supporter."

"IU soccer, just like it's in my DNA, it's in his, too," Jerry Yeagley said. "The wonderful thing is I will have two teams to cheer for now."

Freitag said the Hoosiers will soon start looking for Yeagley’s replacement. Assistant coach Phil Presser will remain on staff, Freitag said.

- Editor-in-Chief Michael Sanserino contributed to this report.

Check back with IDSnews.com and Corner Kick for more updates.