Different game, different Story

Freshman guard Malik Story brings the ball upcourt  against Cornell Nov. 30, 2008 at Assembly Hall.

On a team that IU coach Tom Crean calls “thin,” Malik Story has been a valuable commodity.

Coming off the bench or starting, playing power forward or point guard – wherever Crean has been lacking, he’s turned to Story to fill the gap. No wonder Story has an open mind on what his role is for the Hoosiers.

“(I do) whatever needs to be done,” he said. “Pass the ball, score the ball, whatever needs to be done.”

While the whole season is a learning experience, perhaps no Hoosier has had to learn as much or adjust to as many different roles as Story.

The 6-foot-5, 225-pound freshman came to Bloomington as a guard. He quickly learned he would need to fill the position of power forward, due to the lack of size on the squad.

After initially struggling against bigger athletes, Story said he has adapted.

“I’m starting to feel very comfortable,” Story said about playing power forward. “I’m starting to use my size and my quickness against the bigger man and use that for an edge in the box out.”

Just when Story was beginning to get comfortable, Crean threw a curveball at him.
With freshman Verdell Jones injured, the Hoosiers were suddenly very thin – and short – at point guard.

Crean said out of necessity he needed Story, his newfound forward, to also play at point guard.

“He’s pretty good with the ball,” Crean said. “He’s strong. We’re going to play against so many strong guards.”

Crean has also used Story in the two and three guard positions, depending on the opponent and how the rest of the Hoosiers are playing.

Helping Story adapt has been junior transfer, guard Jeremiah Rivers. Unable to play this year, Rivers has dedicated himself to helping the guys on the court.

After every timeout against Gonzaga, Story would look to his mentor for advice.
“I’m going to try to help them out as much as I can,” Rivers said.

In addition to playing four different positions, Story has also gone back and forth between starting and coming off the bench as the sixth man.

Story’s last start came Dec. 3 against Wake Forest, when Crean quickly pulled him out of the game for what Story described as not being defensively minded enough.

Story was back to being the sixth man against Gonzaga, but Crean again punished him for taking poor shots. For all the subbing and role-switching, Crean takes time to point out to Story why he makes substitutions and what he expects from him.

After pulling Story in the Gonzaga game, Crean yelled, “I need you to be great!”

In his coach’s constant search for greatness from his versatile rookie, Story has started to get the hang of the many roles he plays.

“Now it’s just like I feel like I belong in the game, and everything’s slowed down,” Story said. “Things come a little easier.”