Students still debating whether or not to vote for unlikely candidates

When Mike Huckabee was in college, he used to take a popcorn popper – because that was the only thing he was allowed to have in his dorm – and fry squirrels in it.

Not a recommended experiment. Not a likely college story, from an unlikely presidential candidate, Mike Huckabee.

When students step in to vote today, Huckabee’s name will not appear on the ballot. However, the American public can still vote for him through a write-in ballot.

For senior Timothy Wallace, this not-so-typical candidate was once his choice.

“A year ago in January, I started campaigning for Huckabee – just a few things around campus and around the country,” Wallace said.

Those few things include being the state chairman for Indiana Federation of College Republicans that controlled the 26 chapters throughout Indiana and trips to Iowa to help with Huckabee’s campaign. However, since Huckabee lost the primary nomination, Wallace’s vote has changed.

“I realized while it was good to stand up for my beliefs, it’s not exactly going to do anything because he is obviously not going to win. So what my vote is actually doing is just giving Obama a vote because most of the people who would have been voting for Huckabee will now be voting for McCain,” Wallace said. “Whether or not I’m voting for Obama doesn’t matter, but if I’m going to vote for Huckabee, I may as well be voting for Obama.”

For some presidential candidate hopefuls, their supporters are sticking to their man, whether there is a chance or not. They are voting with their choice of a write-in ballot.

“A write-in, first and foremost, is a candidate who in Indiana has filled out what is actually like a three- or four-page form and provide the necessary identification to be eligible for election within the Indiana general election,” said sophomore Barry Donnelly, who plans to vote for Ralph Nader. “They are very important because they allow candidates who don’t have the kind of resources and pretty much government favoritism that is given to the two parties.”

The only way a person can vote on a write-in ballot is if they register previous to Election Day with their intent to vote with a write-in.

“Using the write-in, I think, is good to do, but it’s sad that you have to do it that way. I think it should be easier to get on the ballot, and it should be easier for more people to be there,” said senior Andrew Sharp, who plans to vote for Ron Paul.

On rare occasions, voters will vote for a candidate who is not even eligible for a write-in. The Monroe County election board said they handle these cases by not counting the vote.

“How a person votes or how they don’t choose to vote is totally up to them,” said Jessica Sears, a member of the Monroe County election board. “If they want to throw away their vote on a candidate that is not a declared write-in then that’s their right.”

But not all students who aren’t voting for McCain or Obama thinks they are throwing away their right to vote.

Sophomore and Hillary Clinton supporter Laura Robinson said she believes she is still an involved citizen even though she will not be voting for president.

“After working on the Hillary Clinton campaign for several months, the flaws in Obama’s campaign became really obvious, and I have a hard time voting for somebody when I know he is not the best person for the job,” Robinson said. “I wouldn’t say I’m throwing away my right to vote, because I’m still following the governor race and the senators and representatives.”

Although Huckabee is not the typical candidate and a write-in is not the typical way to vote, many Americans still exercise this right.

Wallace will not be voting as a write-in, but he will not be throwing his right to vote away either.

“I was actually able to find a candidate that I did agree with on pretty much anything,” Wallace said. “It’s important to find someone you can agree with on most of the things – a candidate who has a chance of winning who is actually going to win as a opposed to one you agree with fully but just doesn’t have a chance. I have decided on a candidate, and I will be voting.”