IU College Democrats: Students ‘work for this moment’

Junior AnnElyse Gibbons only wants two things after Tuesday’s election: to sleep and catch up on homework.

As president of Students for Baron Hill, an executive board member of IU Students for Barack Obama and secretary for the IU College Democrats, campaign season has been busy for her.

President of IU College Democrats Anna Strand also said the campaign has affected her sleep cycle, limiting her to a few hours a night.

“I haven’t slept in a couple days,” Strand said. “I’m still, unfortunately, a full-time student and writing 30-page papers. I’m trying not to let anything slide. I’m excited for my own personal benefit to have a breather, but it’s been the most incredible thing you can be a part of.”

Gibbons, who will be working as a poll site manager for a precinct on Election Day, has spent two years campaigning for the Democratic party. After dedicating her college career to the campaign, Gibbons said she is anticipating today’s results.

“We work for this moment,” Gibbons said. “We go through and play (Obama’s) ‘Yes We Can’ speech to keep reminding us and keep motivating us.”

For the final days of the election, Gibbons has been handing out literature and canvassing voters. She said one of the main mistakes voters make on Election Day is not going to the correct polling site.

Strand said being around Obama’s campaign since the beginning makes Election Day all the more meaningful.

“This is the most exciting thing in the world right now,” Strand said. “I helped start Students for Barack Obama when he was a complete dark horse candidate. To see what’s happened since then has been absolutely incredible.”

The thrill of registering voters, Gibbons said, stuck out in her mind as one of her favorite campaign moments.

“Knowing that maybe because I took the extra step, that maybe it caused them to cast their ballot,” Gibbons said. “That means a lot to me. We’re talking about our age, 18- to 25-year-olds, a generation that usually doesn’t have this much political involvement.”

Strand had a similar experience while canvassing in Cincinnati. While campaigning in what she described as an unsafe area, she and fellow Democrats spoke with a woman who had “lost faith” in politicians. After talking to Strand, the woman assured them she would cast a vote for Obama.

“She said, ‘just the fact you guys came out to talk to us, I’m going to vote for him,’” Strand said. “I think that is the most fulfilling moment.”

For those organizing, where they will possibly celebrate the results is still a mystery.

“We’re not done (campaigning),” Strand said. “We’re not done here until the polls close. A lot of us haven’t thought about where we’ll be.”

For those involved, tonight will be a bittersweet end to a long journey.

“Hopefully I’ll be able to rest easy Tuesday night and wake up very happy Wednesday morning, knowing my hard work has paid off,” Gibbons said.