sports women's basketball

Hot first half leads women's basketball team past Greyhounds

Multiple players end night in double-figures

IU senior forward Whitney Thomas goes up for a basket over Southern Indiana's Courtney Perry during a game on Saturday at Assembly Hall. IU won 93-49.

The IU women’s basketball team was once again impressive last night. This time, they showed their talents off to the Indianapolis Greyhounds in an 82-56 victory.

The Greyhounds scored at the 15:04 mark in the first half to make it 7-2 in favor of the Hoosiers. After, Indianapolis did not score until 6:58 left in the half. A scoreless drought of more than eight minutes. The Greyhounds’ next bucket made it 30-5, and the rout was on.

IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack said defense is the foundation for her team.

“Well that’s what we try to put our staple on, is the defense,” Legette-Jack said. “Everyday we kind of get better at it. I thought we showed great sprints, especially when Kim was at the point of it.”

Senior guard/forward Kim Roberson did not miss a shot in the first half, hitting all six of her attempts, including two from beyond the arc. Roberson finished the half and the game with 14 points, and has yet to miss a field gold attempt. 

“My teammates have been setting me good screens and giving me enough time to get my feet set for the shot,” she said. “Little Whit (Lindsay Enterline) and Jamie (Braun) were passing me the ball, and Amber (Jackson) and Whitney (Thomas) were down low with Jori (Davis) setting great screens. So I have to finish it off after they did all that work.”

The second half was much more competitive, as the Greyhounds out-scored the Hoosiers 37-35, but the defecit from the first half was too much to overcome.
In the second half, the Hoosiers were able to get a lot of easy baskets from senior forwards Thomas and Jackson.

Thomas said the baskets came from teammates quickly dumping the ball inside to the post.

“We were just posting hard and calling for the ball,” Thomas said. “Like coach says, we got to build it from the inside out, and that’s what we were focusing on. Our guards came in shooting well from the outside and that opened a lot for us inside the post.” 

IU had four players in double-figures, led by Davis’ 19 points, as she was 7-11 from the floor.

Despite two lopsided wins, Legette-Jack said her team still needs to improve before heading into its regular season opener Friday, Nov. 14 at home against Ball State.

“We need to find out how effective our defense can be,” Legette-Jaack said. “I think that we are a better defensive team. If we can continue to get better on the defensive end, I think you will see a lot more fun.

“A fun basketball team because we will put more points on the board, but it starts from the inside out. We were getting that, and when we got a lead I thought we kind of lost our focus, we kind of stretched out defense, and they got buckets inside.”