sports men's soccer

Hoosiers push past Michigan to round of 8

Senior midfielder Brad Ring (center) celebrates with teammates following his first goal of the season in the 77th minute of the Hoosiers 3-0 NCAA Tournament win Saturday against Michigan at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

The IU men's soccer team advanced to the round of eight after knocking off in-conference foe Michigan on Saturday night.

IU will now take on St. John's in the NCAA Quarterfinals at 5 p.m. Saturday.

Much of the Hoosiers' success was due to midfielder Andy Adlard who contributed to his team's effort with a goal and an assist.

The sophomore scored the first goal of the night when a redirection inside the Michigan box fell to his feet. Adlard took the ball and launched a rocket of a shot into the lower left corner of the goal.

The 1-0 lead stood through halftime.

In the 72nd minute, IU keeper Chay Cain had to rely on quick reflexes and his sprawled-out body to swat away a point-blank strike by a Michigan attacker.

A minute later, the Wolverine attack was followed with another strong strike which was only stopped by the IU crossbar.

But with the Wolverine's pouncing, IU countered.

After a Michigan corner in the 77th minute,  Adlard played in a cross deep into the opposing team's box to Brad Ring, who met the ball and struck it to the top right corner of the UM net.

Down 2-0, the Wolverines brought more attackers upfield, closer to the IU third.

But Michigan's aggressiveness lead its further disappointment as it allowed IU to launch a counter attack off of a corner kick.

The UM corner landed at the feet of Hoosier Brian Ackley who stabbed a through pass past the thin Michigan defense and to a sprinting John Mellencamp. Mellencamp took the ball and easily beat the Wolverine goalkeeper one on one.

The 3-0 decision ends Michigan's efforts at an NCAA crown, while sending the Hoosiers on to face St. John's in the Tournament's round of eight.