‘Anthrax sample’ sent to Indy Star

FBI officials say Sacramento resident mailed about 120 packages

INDIANAPOLIS – An envelope containing a CD with a sticker reading “anthrax sample” and a biohazard sign over what appeared to be a sugar packet was mailed to The Indianapolis Star.

The mailing prompted a lockdown at the downtown office of the state’s largest newspaper for more than two hours Monday night while police and health officials investigated the envelope.

Initial tests for radioactivity and for toxic materials were negative, said Jeff Larmore, manager of hazardous materials with the Indiana State Department of Health.

Larmore said the apparent threat was similar to others that have taken place elsewhere in the nation, and the risk of exposure was minimal.

He said the substance would be sent to the health department’s bioterrorism lab Tuesday for a full analysis.

Authorities said the mailing had a return address under the name MK Publishing in Sacramento, Calif. The envelope contained a CD with the image of former Secretary of State Colin Powell. The CD’s plastic sleeve had a sticker with the words “anthrax sample” and a biohazard sign over what appeared to be a sugar packet, said Heidi Sims, a paraprofessional at The Star who handled the package.

The words “Shock and Awe Terror” were printed below Powell’s image, and the name Marc Keyser was printed beside it.

Keyser, 66, was charged last week with three counts of sending hoax anthrax threats by mail after The Atlantic magazine received one of the letters.

Other media outlets across the country have received similar mailings. The FBI determined those mailings to be a hoax.

According to the FBI, the Sacramento resident has sent more than 120 such packages.