Indiana Republicans join Palin

Republican vice presidential candidate Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska speaks during a rally Wednesday in Jeffersonville, Ind.

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin came out guns-blazing at a rally on Wednesday, saying Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama “has an ideological commitment to bigger government and higher taxes.”

The visit came as part of Palin’s sweep of battleground states Ohio and Indiana, states that both parties are fighting for ahead of Election Day. It was Palin’s third Indiana visit in less than two weeks, highlighting Republicans’ unease about states that were considered strong red states until recently. Indiana hasn’t gone to the Democrats since 1964.

Palin spoke to a crowd of about 20,000, said McCain’s spokesman for Indiana, Mark Lotter, at a warehouse in Jeffersonville. She pulled into the crowded building on the “Straight Talk Express,” a tour bus with a giant “McCain-Palin ’08” sign that transports the Alaska governor to different campaign stops.

“I just wanted to see her in person, I just love her so much and have so much confidence in her ability to lead,” said Patti Morgan, who made the short trip over the Ohio River from Louisville. “She’s everything that’s good about America.”

Morgan said she likes Palin because “she knows more about energy policy than ‘those two’ ever will.” Morgan also said she dislikes the Democratic ticket because she doesn’t “like all of the shady characters – I think there’s too much about Obama that we don’t know. And Joe Biden is kind of a joke.”

The Republican vice-presidential nominee also hit out against Obama on national security.

“It’s a given, on national security issues and winning the war, who we need to elect,” she said. “As the mother of one of the troops in Iraq, (McCain is) exactly the man I want as our commander-in-chief.”

Palin criticized Obama’s tax plan, saying the Illinois senator would “take” Americans’ money, and praised McCain’s plan.

“We’ll bring tax relief to every American and every business,” she said.

Another audience member, Charlie Hall, brought his wife, daughter and son to the rally. His daughter Madison wore a white T-shirt with the words “Palin Power” splashed across the front.

Hall said he will vote for McCain because of ideological issues, such as abortion and gun control.

“I’m pro-life, a gun-owner and an outdoorsman,” he said, “and I just couldn’t vote for Barack Obama.”

Palin was preceded by a “Who’s Who” lineup of the Indiana Republican Party. Gov. Mitch Daniels was the first to take the stage, having spent the afternoon talking to Palin supporters in line for the event. Also in attendance were Republican school superintendent candidate Tony Bennett and attorney general candidate Greg Zoeller.

Congressional candidate and former representative Mike Sodrel got one of the loudest receptions of the night. Sodrel, who is locked in a tight race for Indiana’s 9th Congressional District with Rep. Baron Hill, played into the McCain campaign’s theme of using “average” blue-collar workers.

“You probably heard of Joe the Plumber?” he asked the crowd. “I’m Mike the Driver.”
Sodrel attacked Obama’s commitment to “liberty” saying, “If we’re not careful, we could lose by ballots what we gained by bullets.”

Country music star Hank Williams Jr. performed just before Palin’s appearance, starting his set with a song usually reserved for Monday nights: “Are you ready for some football?”

Concluding her speech, Palin asked the audience to do everything they can to help Republicans get votes between now and Tuesday.

“It’s going to come down to the wire,” Palin said. “It’s going to come down to what we believe in as a country.”