Gov. Daniels rides through city for charity

Gov. Mitch Daniels holds Zoe Knotts, 3, as her mother takes a photo during a stop on a charity motorcycle ride on Friday at a Harley-Davidson dealership in Bloomington. Daniels joined members of the American Bikers Aimed Towards Education on the ride, which attracted about 300 motorcycles and benefited the National Guard Relief Fund.

Carl Schnaufer is a veteran from Noblesville, Ind., and so is his son. So when he heard about a two-day charity motorcycle ride through southern Indiana benefiting the National Guard, he couldn’t help but participate.

“I can’t think of a more pleasant way to support the families who are serving us,” Schnaufer said. 

Schnaufer, along with about 300 other motorcyclists, were part of the American Bikers Aimed Toward Education (ABATE) charity ride featuring Gov. Mitch Daniels that made a stop in Bloomington on Friday at the local Harley-Davidson dealership.

SLIDESHOW: Daniels in Bloomington

Daniels ate lunch with supporters, signed autographs and posed for photos.

Ron Hess, who works at the dealership, said riders donated money to be able to ride around with the governor and were making six to seven stops throughout southern Indiana on the ride. The dealership provided lunch for the riders to help the efforts for the Indiana National Guard Relief Fund, which gives grants to the families of Hoosier members of the Indiana National Guard or Armed Forces Reserves called to duty since 9/11.

“I’m sure the governor will tell you it’s not about him, it’s about the National Guard,” Hess said.

Daniels described himself as an avid motorcyclist and said raising money for the National Guard Relief Fund was important to help the families of those serving.

“We thought that it was the best cause around,” Daniels said. “Havin’ some fun. It beats working.”

Mark Wingler is another rider who donated money to participate in the ride. 

“With the economy going in the tank, I kind of want to be around positive people today,” he said, adding he wanted to “support people fighting.” 

Sgt. David Duncan of the National Guard in Bloomington said the ride has picked up more and more people along the way. Duncan has been deployed three times while serving in the Army.

“It’s for a good cause,” he said. “It’s all about us taking care of each other.”

Daniels is running for re-election against Democratic candidate Jill Long Thompson and Libertarian candidate Andy Horning. A debate is scheduled for 7 p.m. Tuesday at the IU Auditorium.