La Casa discussion stresses Latino vote

Fifteen percent of Americans are Hispanic, but on average they only account for less than 10 percent of all votes cast in elections.

“Don’t just sit on it, guys,” said Carlos Jara of Sigma Lambda Beta. “You really have to think about it. We’re the future. Go out there and vote.”

Jara was one of many students and members of Bloomington’s Latino community who on Tuesday attended “Latino’s Vote,” an event at La Casa that sought to address issues facing Hispanic voters in this year’s election.

The event, sponsored by Delta Alpha Rho, featured a description of key issues, such as the economy, the energy crisis and health care, and how each candidate plans to approach them.

BLOG: The Politiker

Matt Van Hoose, interim associate director of the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, gave a presentation on Republican presidential nominee John McCain, highlighting McCain’s plan to lower tax rates for corporations and balance the federal budget by 2013, among other things.

Van Hoose challenged voters to look at and consider the differences between each candidate’s platform.

“We should read these platforms critically,” he said. “As voters, we have to ask ourselves what will happen when that candidate actually does get elected.”

A presentation was also given on Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, highlighting, among other things, his plans to increase eligibility for health care and decrease greenhouse gas emissions through cap-and-trade programs.

One issue raised, though not discussed at length, was immigration. Students seemed more concerned with issues of education.

Freshman Tari Morales said she is highly supportive of the proposed DREAM Act, which would allow high school students who are long-term illegal immigrants and want to either go to college or serve in the armed forces the opportunity to gain legal status.

“We should be thinking about the education of the youth,” Morales said.

Vanessa Valentin, a junior, agreed.

“Immigration is a big topic,” Valentin said. “But when I look at people’s platforms I always look at what they’re doing for education.”

The event offered attendees a chance to register to vote if they hadn’t already, and Metalnat Hayes, 22, took advantage.

“I’d been procrastinating,” Hayes said. “I took advantage of the situation, and I registered, so now I’m good to go.”