Indy mayor says he can relate to Palin

Like candidate, Ballard battled perception of inexperience

ST. PAUL, Minn. – There might be one Hoosier who understands overcoming perceived inexperience better than anyone else. Like Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the recently named running mate of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard had to prove himself, too.

Ballard, who like Palin is relatively new to the public, is attending his first Republican National Convention this week. The Indianapolis native and IU alumnus spent 23 years serving in the Marines, worked in the corporate world and taught before he decided he didn’t like the way the city was being run. But just last year, he defeated then-mayor Bart Peterson 51 to 47 percent, having spent only $200,000 campaigning compared with Peterson’s $4 million, Ballard said.

But Ballard said Palin has experience. She has been in office for almost two decades – a city councilwoman for four years, mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, for six and governor of Alaska since December 2006.

BLOG: More on the Politiker

Ballard said he considers Palin’s work as mayor and governor more worthwhile than Barack Obama’s work in the senate because it is executive experience.

“It’s your decision. Your signature makes the difference,” he said. “I admire people who make those decisions. ... To have to make the call – she’s had to make the call.”

Ballard said unknowns like he and Palin can sometimes help connect with people who are otherwise “under the radar.”

“I think there’s always people ready to step up to the next level, and just because they didn’t necessarily climb the ladder like some other people did doesn’t mean they’re not ready for it,” he said.

But in St. Paul at the Republican National Convention on Tuesday, the spotlight was still focused on Palin’s 17-year-old daughter’s pregnancy. Palin’s announcement about her daughter came on the heels of the first real day of the convention, as Monday’s schedule was stripped to only essential activities due to Hurricane Gustav. 

Indiana delegates were quick to back Palin, saying the media’s focus on Bristol Palin’s pregnancy would have been less intense had there been other news from the convention. Though most admitted it had been discussed a lot between them, they agreed it didn’t affect Palin’s ability to do her job.

Indiana delegate and former GOP state chairman Mike McDaniel said Democrats and the media were “desperate,” but he praised Obama for saying that candidates’ families, especially children, are off limits. 

“I don’t think it’s an issue in this campaign,” McDaniel said. “She’s (Bristol Palin) not the one running for vice president.”

But another Indiana delegate understood the buzz.

“It’s part of the gig,” said Indiana State Republican Chairman Murray Clark. “Unfortunately you’re just thrown under a microscope. ... It’d be so hard for them for that to be so public, when it’s family issue, when it’s an issue families all over this country face. The vast majority of Christian conservatives believe we worship a God of second chances.”

But Clark did not think the news would hurt Palin. He believed her youth and enthusiasm would attract more conservative voters.

“When Gov. Palin was announced we saw an immediate bump in the enthusiasm of people,” Clark said. “The reality is the vice president rarely affects that much of the vote.”

Palin will take the convention stage tonight.