football

Lewis scores four times, sets school career record in Hoosier win

Junior wide receiver Ray Fisher leaps into the end zone over two Western Kentucky defenders during the Hoosiers' 31-13 win against the Hilltoppers Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

Thanks to the legs of junior quarterback Kellen Lewis, the IU football team sprinted ahead of visiting Western Kentucky and never looked back.

Before game’s end, Lewis would own a new school record and the Cream and Crimson would roll to a 31-13 victory in their season opener.

Pinned back on their own 10-yard line, the Hoosiers’ second possession of the afternoon didn’t look promising. But three plays later, including a 75-yard touchdown scamper by Lewis, IU took a 7-0 lead.

The run, a career long for the Jacksonville, Fla., native, was a designed read where he has the decision to either hand the ball off or keep it himself.

“Most of the time we have an audible call to Kellen where he can run the ball himself,” junior offensive tackle Rodger Saffold said. “That’s the best part about being in the 2-minute because all of the audibles are based on the defense so we can really take advantage.”

IU went into the half with a 17-0 lead after an Austin Starr field goal and a touchdown pass from Lewis to receiver Ray Fisher. Fisher caught the ball in the flat and then leaped over two Hilltopper defenders, barely breaking the plane of the goal line with the ball in his outstretched arms.

The score was No. 43 of Lewis’ career, surpassing former Hoosier, and current Washington Redskin, Antwaan Randle El for most all-time touchdowns in school history.

“I actually didn’t know I was that close (to the record),” Lewis said.

Much of the second half was controlled by WKU as the Hilltoppers attempted a come back.

“Western (Kentucky) did a really good job controlling the tempo, particularly in the third quarter,” IU coach Bill Lynch said. “The field position changed and that was partly our fault, partly theirs.”

But after impressive defensive holds, another long touch down run from Lewis and a throwing score, IU would cruise to the 31-13 win.

Lewis said the team’s goal is to score at least 40 points in every game this season, so he feels the offense still has more work to do before next week, though admittedly, Lewis said he enjoyed the new no-huddle scheme.

“I think it worked out excellent,” Lewis said. "We’re in great shape, especially the offensive line. It got to a point in the game right there in the first half, that the (defensive) lineman weren’t even getting their hands down for a pass rush.”

IU returns to action 7 p.m. next Saturday as they host Murray State at Memorial Stadium.

For more information on Saturday’s game, check out the Under the Rock blog and pick up a copy of this Tuesday’s IDS.