Workers lay down new turf at Memorial Stadium

David E. Corso

Workers began laying down new turf Wednesday at Memorial Stadium just weeks after flooding made the previous field unplayable.

The IU Athletic Department announced Wednesday that FieldTurf, would lay down a 2.5 inch DuraSpine Monofilament Turf in time for the Hoosiers’ Aug. 30 home opener against Western Kentucky.

The project, which included the removal of the previous turf, is expected to cost $406,680 – most of which will be covered by insurance, according to a press release. The IU Athletic Department is grateful for the quick response by the University and FieldTurf, IU Associate Athletic Director Jack Garrett said in a press release.

“We are very appreciative of the way in which the University has responded to our needs,” Garrett said in the release. “They have allowed us to expedite the process in order to provide our coaches and student athletes with a top of the line product in FieldTurf. For that we are very grateful.”

Rainstorms beginning June 4 resulted in a sinkhole and several depressions in the football field as rushing water broke cement that supports the field. On June 19 workers began to remove the field, confirming that new turf would have to be purchased. The field had a 10-year guarantee, but the company that installed the field in 2003, SRI Sports of Austin, Texas, is no longer in business.

The damaged turf raised the concern that the Drum Corps International World Championship Finals on Aug. 7-9 would have to be moved from Memorial Stadium.

Representatives from DCI said after the turf was damaged that they still planned on holding their championships at Memorial Stadium. Calls to DCI seeking comment Wednesday were not returned by press time.

While there has been doubt about the timing of the new field, IU football coach Bill Lynch said he is happy the field will be ready for the start of the season.

“Everyone’s cooperation in the face of a very unique situation is much appreciated,” Lynch said in the release. “We look forward to a great season and to using our new state-of-the-art FieldTurf.”

The Hoosiers are the sixth Big Ten team to install a FieldTurf field, joining Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State and Wisconsin. Additionally, Penn State and Purdue have FieldTurf practice fields.

FieldTurf CEO Jack Fields said in the release that the company is excited to add another Big Ten program to its list of customers.

“There’s no question that the Big Ten is truly one of the nation’s ‘power’ conferences, and everyone at FieldTurf is excited to have yet another Big Ten school select our product,” Fields said in the release. “Coach Lynch is building upon the fine football program at Indiana, and we’re thrilled to be on board as one of the cogs in the Hoosier football machine. I know that Coach Lynch and his players will find their new FieldTurf surface to be a considerable upgrade in terms of playability and safety, and we are confident that Hoosier fans will also find it to their liking.”