Clearing away the smoke

Smoking is the most preventable cause of premature death in our society, and IU students may be on their way to becoming one of these statistics. The percentage of IU Bloomington students who smoke (31 percent) is larger than the state average (24.1 percent), and the Indiana state average is larger than the national average (20.8 percent). \nAt the IU Health Center, as well as in other health care settings, students who smoke come in repeatedly with illness after illness. The average non-smoking student may not even know where the Health Center is located. The Health Center is conveniently located on the corner of 10th Street and Jordan Avenue, across from the Main Library. \nResearch has shown that smoke-free workplace policies help reduce the number of employees who smoke, and those who continue to smoke reduce their number of cigarettes. The IU smoke-free policy is in-step with what we know about the effects of second-hand smoke and the habits of tobacco users. It is a research-based way to encourage people to think about changing their habits to live healthier, longer lives. \nMore help than ever before is available for individuals who want to beat their addiction to tobacco. Free nicotine replacement therapy (patches, gum and lozenges) is now available for a limited time to students who attend the weekly Tuesday classes offered by the IU Health Center. Faculty, staff, and students who wish to quit can also call the free Indiana Tobacco Quitline, 1-800-QUIT-NOW. While supplies last, those who call the Quitline will receive a free two-week supply of nicotine replacement therapy. Individuals will also be informed about the free classes offered in the Bloomington community. \nThere has never been a better time to quit. Free help is available both in the community through Bloomington Hospital and on campus at the Health Center. Both organizations have a partnership with Indiana Tobacco Prevention and Cessation. For more information on any of these programs, e-mail Neva Cottam, the smoking cessation educator at the Health Center at ncottam@indiana.edu.