IUSA holds first student symposium

A lack of guidance for incoming Student Association members was an issue brought up Saturday morning at the IUSA symposium on the future of student government.\nThe symposium, hosted by a small but enthusiastic group, touched on topics that have been putting IUSA’s past and present impact on campus into question.\nDean of Students Dick McKaig and IU Provost Karen Hanson were present at the event and were able to voice their opinions on a number of matters that were brought up. \n“Enormous amounts of time are spent on trying to figure out what you’re going to do with your position,” Hanson said, pertaining to IUSA executive and congress members. \nParticipants agreed that members’ short executive terms are a big disadvantage. \n“While coming in as IUSA president, I could have used more guidance,” IUSA president WT Wright said. “We’re still trying to figure out some stuff, and we’re already halfway through our term.”\nAttendees talked about implementing an orientation program for new members. All present at the symposium agreed that giving the members an extra hand at the beginning of their executive terms would help in making their impact on campus more effective.\n“One of the biggest problems is that there isn’t a healthy turnover for the executives,” former IUSA president Alex Shortle said. “There are no records and no evidence of student government in the past, and those would be very helpful in making a smooth transition.”\nKelly Kish, who serves as the research assistant to IU President Michael McRobbie, was at the symposium and said she thought it was a great idea to start the conversation on what needs to be done. \n“It’s healthy to get the voices of different organizations heard,” Kish said. “If effective, the student government can be one of the most powerful organizations on campus.”\nIUSA Chief of Staff Matt