Organizers say they need more teams for Relay for Life event

Relay for Life, the American Cancer Society's signature fundraising event, will hold its second meeting for teams and team captains to discuss the planning of the March event. The team captain and team development call-out meeting will be held at 8:30 p.m. tonight in Woodburn Hall, room 111. \nSenior Mike Grady, IU's Relay for Life team development chair, said he is ready to get things started for the event. He said this meeting is an opportunity for teams to get recruits and for people to sign up for teams. \n"We want to try to get more people involved and increase people's interests," Grady said.\nThe meeting will be about 30 to 45 minutes long, and there will be food available, as well as prize drawings.\nRelay For Life is an overnight event designed to celebrate cancer survivors and raise money for research and programs for the American Cancer Society, according to the Relay For Life Web site. This year, the event will start March 31 at the E.C. "Billy" Hayes Track.\nLast year, 51 student teams participated in IU's Relay For Life. Organizers hope to build on that number this year, with a goal of 60 to 65 teams. \nGroup leaders are also hoping to significantly increase the amount of money raised. While the fundraiser netted $68,000 last year, they are now shooting to bring in $80,000. \n"Students get a chance to bond during the event and also support those who have cancer, those who have died of cancer and survivors of cancer," said senior Cindy Morse, co-chairwoman of the event. "There's no other event that creates such an emotional impact on people"