Opie Taylor's gets sports-theme makeover

Restaurant caters to fans with big-screen TV

Amid four large televisions, an Indiana sports mural and hundreds of pictures honoring IU athletics, Eric Havill seats customers, busses tables and serves food. All this, and he still joins diners in the excitement of the latest sporting event being projected along the 100-inch wall which starts halfway up from the ground and intersects the ceiling. \nIt's all part of the vision sparked late last year by Havill and two business partners to buy Opie Taylor's, a longtime Bloomington restaurant. Best known for its juicy hamburgers, Opie Taylor's, established in 1984 at 110 N. Walnut St., went without management for more than a year before Havill and his partners purchased it. The previous managers had basically faded out, Havill said, and longtime employees had taken over in running the restaurant. However, after Havill purchased it in June, he proposed his game plan and began to instigate some crucial changes. \n"The food at Opie Taylor's is what kept people coming back, not the atmosphere or customer service," Havill said. "I wanted to keep the same great food but make improvements in several other areas." \nAnd that is just what he did. After three weeks of intense remodeling during the summer, Opie Taylor's no longer looks drab. Instead, its new open space and bright colors create a welcoming place for families, while the memorabilia scattered throughout generate a mecca for sports fans.\n"Opie's has always been my favorite place in Bloomington for burgers," said junior Joel Andreas. "But I have been there a lot more this year with my roommates because we know the big games will always be on, and it isn't as loud as other sports bar restaurants."\nHavill's idea of creating a sports fan atmosphere isn't revolutionary to Bloomington. Scotty's Brewhouse, Kilroy's Bar and Grill and Yogi's Grill and Bar are some other restaurants that jumped on the Bloomington sports fan bandwagon in hopes of offering good food as well as an exciting place to watch events. All generate huge audiences for games, especially against IU's biggest sports rivals. That's why Havill said he has thought of ways to entice people to give the renovated Opie's a try. \n"If the 100-inch television projection isn't enough to draw outsiders into Opie Taylor's every Thursday night, we offer $1 pints," Havill said. "Also, November 17 we will be having an eating contest, and the winner will receive Indiana vs. Duke basketball tickets." \nThe décor isn't the only tribute to Indiana sports. The menu also features a new item called the "Hoosier Tank Burger" dedicated to past, present and future IU football players. This 1-pound monster burger recently received its name by several IU football players, some Opie Taylor's regulars. After the players made consistent visits to Opie's, Havill dedicated the burger to the team and let a few of the players construct a name. \nRaised in Bloomington, Havill has maintained the IU spirit through the good and bad times, which inspired him to dedicate the "Hoosier Tank Burger" to players as a way of showing support to the team even through rough seasons. \nHavill's loyalty isn't solely reserved to IU sports teams. Havill has also committed himself to making sure longtime Opie customers remain happy amid all the changes. \n"We have made sure to keep longtime Opie's staff on board," Havill said. "I would say 97 percent of the feedback we receive from Opie regulars is positive. Loyal customers are happy with the improvements we have made." \nMegan Crain, a server at Opie Taylor's, said she has enjoyed watching Opie's transformations. \n"Each week, I have seen more and more pictures and decorations go up and with that, so does the excitement of watching the games."\nThat is exactly the vision Havill hoped for a year ago.\n"I wanted to create a place where people can eat, drink and get excited about games," Havill said. "With a new football coach and the football team improving, I think there is a lot to be excited about"