Business In Brief

'Apprentice' looks for Kelley School grads for new season\nINDIANAPOLIS -- Casting directors of "The Apprentice" are looking for graduates and professors of the Kelley School of Business and the University of Indianapolis for an upcoming season.\nOn "The Apprentice," host and executive producer Donald Trump assigns tasks to contestants and week-by-week eliminates one with his popular phrase, "You're fired." The final contestant wins a $250,000-per-year job running one of Trump's companies.\nThe casting directors are looking for graduates with Masters of Business Administration degrees from either university.\nThe University of Indianapolis will hold a private casting call from 2 to 6 p.m. Feb. 24 and television station WTHR, which airs "The Apprentice," will also hold an open call Feb. 26 at the studio located at 1000 N. Meridian St. in Indianapolis. Details and applications are available at www.nbc.com.

New Kelley School report looks at how we earn our income\nSupplements to Hoosiers' employee pay increased at a much faster pace than wage and salary compensation between 2001 and 2003, according to a new report released Tuesday by the Indiana Business Research Center in Indiana University's Kelley School of Business. \n"Two things are at work here -- job losses in Indiana and across the United States, and increases in health insurance costs and possibly pension contributions paid by employers," said the report, based on new statistics released Jan. 27 by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis. Those supplements include employer contributions to pensions and insurance. \nIndiana manufacturers paid $36.6 billion in employee compensation in 2003, accounting for 29.4 percent of all employee compensation in the state and by far the largest share of any industry.\nThe two next-highest Indiana sectors in terms of 2003 employee compensation were government ($18.5 billion) and health care and social assistance ($12.1 billion).

SBC to cut 13,000 jobs after merger with AT&T\nNEW YORK -- SBC Communications Inc. said Tuesday it plans to eliminate about 13,000 jobs after completing its $16 billion takeover of AT&T Corp.\nExecutives emphasized that many of those positions can be cut through attrition rather than layoffs.\nThe projection came a day after SBC announced a deal to buy AT&T, its former corporate parent.\nAmong the areas targeted by the cuts include sales, management of phone networks, customer support, human resources and lobbying.\nThe cuts would come in addition to existing plans at the two telephone companies to eliminate at least 12,000 jobs before the merger is completed at least a year from now.\nSan Antonio-based SBC recently indicated it would cut about 7,000 positions from its work force of 163,000 during 2005, primarily through attrition.