Business In Brief

Kelley School MBAs win international case contest\nIU's Kelley School of Business won the Global Prize title in A.T. Kearney's Global Prize Case Competition, one of the most prestigious MBA case competitions in the world. This was the first time the school had fielded a team in the competition held annually since 1997 by the Chicago-based global management consulting firm. \nFour first-year students in Kelley's Master of Business Administration program competed via teleconference against Manchester Business School, the European Global Prize winner, in the final round held last month. \nPaul Friga, IU assistant professor of management and co-director of the Kelley Consulting Academy, coached the winning team. Friga said the team worked extremely hard and believed that its comprehensive analysis, clarity and teamwork were differentiating factors. \n"It's fantastic to see Kelley students demonstrate global consulting capabilities," Friga said. "We look forward to the challenge of defending our title next year. This prestigious case competition is a wonderful learning opportunity for Kelley MBAs."\nThe winning Kelley team members and recipients of the Global Prize trophy were Edzra Gibson of Detroit; Scott Kleman of Edgewood, Ky.; Kristen Wagner of Martinsville; and Jason Woods of Grand Rapids, Mich.

U.S. dollar rises against euro in late trading\nFRANKFURT, Germany -- The U.S. dollar strengthened Wednesday against the euro, which dropped below the $1.30 mark in afternoon trading, as dealers mulled data that showed an expanding economy.\nThe euro was trading at $1.2992 in late New York trading, down from $1.3029 late Tuesday.\nThe dollar was slightly lower against the British pound, which was quoted at $1.8695, up from $1.8667 late Tuesday.\nThe Federal Reserve released its latest snapshot of economic activity Wednesday, which suggested that the economy is moving solidly ahead and that inflation isn't currently a danger to the economy. Eleven of the Fed's 12 regional districts characterized economic activity from late November through early January as expanding, the Fed survey said.