Living Rent-Free

While most students are searching for housing next year or scrounging funds for security deposits, junior Kari Salyer is resting easy. Salyer will be living rent-free next year at Smallwood Plaza after winning a raffle Friday.\nSalyer's name was drawn from a pool of almost 2,000 entries. Her prize, the rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Smallwood Plaza, is valued at more than $12,000.\nFor Salyer, the outcome of the drawing was more exciting than it was surprising. She and her sister, recent graduate Jenifer Salyer, have been entering the contest almost daily since January.\n"I entered every day for a couple months, so the odds of winning were pretty good," said Salyer.\nSalyer's name was entered into the drawing 40 times, while her sister's was entered 46 times, said John Jacobs, Smallwood Plaza developer.\nJenifer will be living with her sister, also rent-free.\n"We decided that we were going to do this together, so we agreed that if one of us won then we'd share the apartment," said Jenifer.\nThe Salyers had already signed a lease with Smallwood for a four bedroom apartment.\n"We were going to live here regardless of if we won or not," said Kari Salyer.\nBecause the sisters have already signed a lease, the $12,000 will be applied toward a four-bedroom apartment lease, said Kara Cornwell, general manager of Nextwave Management, developers of Smallwood.\nThe rent for the additional two bedrooms in the apartment will be paid by their roommates, said Kari Salyer.\nSmallwood Plaza, which will open in the fall, will house 239 apartments and more than 17,000 square feet of retail space to be utilized by residents and Bloomington community members.\nSmallwood's management also announced the signing of its first major retail contract at the ceremony Friday. Cardinal Fitness will be occupying 8,500 feet of space in Smallwood, and residents will receive free memberships to the fitness center, according to a press release.\nThe contest was the brainchild of Smallwood Plaza's owners and operators as a way of introducing Smallwood to the community.\n"We wanted to generate some excitement. We thought this was a fun way to show that Smallwood Plaza is a fun place to live," said Michelle Sinning, who is in charge of media relations for Nextwave Management.\nThe Leasing Spot, Smallwood Plaza's leasing store, located at 425 E. Kirkwood Ave., was buzzing Friday as people congregated in front of the small management office and collected free pizza, T-shirts and other prizes. Bloomington's B97 radio station broadcast live from The Leasing Spot as they awaited Kari Salyer's arrival. \nShe was brought to the presentation ceremony in a limousine.\n"I was speechless when I found out that I'd won," Kari Salyer said. "I'm excited, nervous, anxious."\nHer sister shared her sentiment.\n"I'm just as excited as she is," Jenifer Salyer said. "As soon as we found out, we were calling people up and telling them we'd won."\n-- Contact business editor Karen Green at kamgreen@indiana.edu.