Annual business conference to honor alumni

Speakers and honorees are anticipating the 58th annual Kelley School of Business Alumni Conference, which is set to take place at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis Wednesday.\nMuch anticipation surrounds this year's conference. The event, which includes a luncheon, is held every year by the business school's Alumni Association for the purpose of networking, honoring distinguished alumni, sharing keynote speeches and sharing real life business experiences, in accordance with the conference's theme.\nThis year's theme is "Leading Change: Reinventing the Organization."\n"We picked it because today in the business world people have to constantly reinvent their businesses," said Kari Niblack, director of alumni programs for the Kelley School of Business.\nBecause of the selected theme, keynote speakers and honorees were chosen based upon how they have personally reinvented their organizations.\n"(The) keynotes were picked for the reason that they will be speaking about the theme," she said. "We wanted individuals who had distinguished careers and have different backgrounds and had taken their organizations in a completely new direction after bad times or an economic downturn."\nNiblack also said the criteria to be chosen to speak or be honored at this year's conference included individuals' being "natural leaders who have been very successful when reinventing their fields."\nThose speaking are John T. Lampe, chairman, CEO and president of Bridgestone Americas Holding, Inc.; Samuel A. DiPiazza Jr., Global CEO of PricewaterhouseCoopers; Steven J. Beck, president of Indiana Venture Center, Inc.; and General Peter Pace, United States Marine Corps vice chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, said Niblack.\nNiblack is pleased with this year's keynote speakers.\n"(We have a) pretty dynamic group coming in," she said.\nAs for those being honored, six Hoosier alumni have been selected to receive this prestigious award.\n"It's truly a unique award and something the school is very proud of," Niblack said. "(They're selected based on) their service to the community, an outstanding business career, (being) leaders in their field and really distinguishing themselves after leaving the Kelley School."\nThe six selected have embodied these Kelley School standards, Niblack said.\n"They truly are remarkable stories," she said.\nThe honorees include Cheryl A. Bachelder, former president of KFC Corporation; Philip L. Francis, chairman and CEO of PETsMART, Inc.; Alan B. Graf Jr., executive vice president and CFO of FedEx Corporation; Quintin E. Primo III, co-founder, co-chairman and CEO of Capri Capital; and Jane and Jean Ford, co-founders and creative directors of Benefit Cosmetics.\nFrancis said he is looking forward to attending the conference and luncheon Wednesday.\n"It looks like the speakers are high quality," he said. "I'll be a good listener, and I plan to learn something."\nFrancis plans on supporting the business school after his involvement in this year's conference.\n"I've joined the Kelley School Dean's Advisory Council -- that will have me in Bloomington twice a year."\nMuch like Francis, Jean and Jane Ford are anticipating their appearance Wednesday.\n"This being our first alumni conference, we expect to have a renewed appreciation for the alumni association and all it contributes to -- not only to IU, but all of Indiana," the Ford sisters said in a statement. "We are excited for the opportunity to meet our peers in business and to exchange business information."\nThe Ford sisters were both surprised and honored to have been chosen for the annual distinguished entrepreneurs award for founding and running Benefit Cosmetics, a national line of beauty products.\nThey continue their involvement at IU.\n"We have a scholarship fund which is ongoing, as well as creating possible opportunities to have a roundtable discussion with future entrepreneurs," the Ford sisters said.\nThe sisters accredit some of their success to the things they took with them from IU.\n"When we were at IU, we were in a community of about 40,000 students, and because the student body was so big, you were just one of many and had the opportunity to become anything you wanted to be," said the Ford sisters. "IU, for us, gave us the foundation and the confidence to follow our passion and create Benefit Cosmetics." \nThe keynote speakers and honorees will pull in over 1,200 people who are expected to attend, including Gov. Joe Kernan and state legislators, Niblack said.\nAs this year-long process of planning comes to an end, the business school's Alumni Association staff has to start thinking about next year's conference.\n"Specifically, what we always want to do (with the annual conference) is high quality," Niblack said. "The conference is put on and reflects the school, ethics, leadership, best keynote speakers and best quality."\n-- Contact copy chief Stacie Vasko at svasko@indiana.edu.