Consumer economic optimism reverses

NEW YORK -- Consumer attitudes about the economy turned sour in the first half of February, reversing a trend toward greater optimism after the U.S. economy posted stellar growth in 2003.\nThe University of Michigan's mid-month report on consumer sentiment for February dropped to 93.1 from 103.8 in January, according to people in the market who have seen the report. It is released only to subscribers.\nEconomists had expected the mid-February sentiment index to inch slightly higher from its reading at the end of January. The median estimate of 16 forecasters was for a reading of 104.0.

sh: Federal prosecutors charging former Enron executive with conspiracy\nHOUSTON -- Federal prosecutors are preparing criminal charges against former Enron Corp. chief executive Jeffrey Skilling for an indictment expected to be handed up this month, perhaps as early as next week, sources close to the case told The Associated Press Friday.\nThe two sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the government focused on Skilling after securing a guilty plea to two counts of conspiracy from former Enron finance chief Andrew Fastow last month. But they said the process was delicate and public revelation of the new case could be delayed.\nThe Houston Chronicle first reported in its online edition early Friday that prosecutors were finalizing possible charges against Skilling.