Five freshmen, five sophomores fuel optimism

The central theme of the 2003-2004 women's basketball team is youth. \nSenior Jamie Gathing is out of the lineup due to a season-ending ACL injury, leaving juniors LeeAnn Stephenson and Jenny DeMuth as the only players on the roster who were at IU the last time the Hoosiers made it into the NCAA Tournament just two years ago.\nWith the addition of IU's first nationally-ranked freshman class, the Hoosiers are stacked with underclassmen with five players apiece in both the freshman and sophomore classes.\nDespite the team's lack of experience, IU coach Kathi Bennett remains optimistic about this year's run.\n"We're extremely young. We have five freshmen, five sophomores and then two juniors," Bennett said. "I feel that this is a very exciting team, and I think we can be one of the best defensive teams in the Big Ten without a doubt. I think that this is the best defensive team since I've been here, and I think that's very exciting to know that coming in."\nExperience issues aside, players and coaches alike cite the Hoosier's youth for intangibles on the court.\n"(The youth brings) a lot of energy on the court," sophomore guard Cyndi Valentin said. "There's a lot of things we're all learning right now, and we work hard when we step out on the court."\nWhat the team lacks in major experience, IU makes up for with sheer talent. \nDeMuth is the Hoosiers' most battle-tested warrior, starting in all but five games in her 59-game career. DeMuth is expected to step up this season after already impressive runs during her freshman and sophomore seasons. During her sophomore campaign, she averaged 12 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game. As a freshman, DeMuth stepped into a starting role just four games into the season en route to 7.1 ppg and 5.5 rpg averages. \nValentin is another "veteran" who is expected to perform for the Hoosiers after a stellar freshman season. During her first season in the Hoosier uniform, Valentin earned Big Ten All-Freshman team honors -- only the third IU player in the program's history to gain such honors. Valentin also became the first freshman in IU history to score 290 points, drain 25 three pointers and record over 30 steals in a season. Despite her impressive accomplishments, Valentin carries an air of humility about her game.\n"I just like being able to hype up my team and just let them know what's going on," Valentin said. "What I'm doing, what they can do and I'm willing to hear from them and know what I'm doing wrong too."\n6-foot-3-inch sophomore Angela Hawkins provides a strong presence under the hoop, averaging 6.4 ppg and 7.9 rpg last season.\n"Angie is a tremendous offensive rebounder with a nose for the ball," Bennett said. "As her offensive skills improve, she can be one of the best post players to have played here."\nAll in all, Bennett cites a core group of five people needed to step up in order for a successful Hoosier run. \n"If we're going to be successful, (DeMuth) really needs to step up," Bennett said. "I think (sophomore) Cyndi Valentin (is important). We're going to get Angie (Hawkins) back and LeeAnn (Stephenson). We need that group to really step up. Kalli (Kullberg) needs to be that consistent energized person that brings the enthusiasm and fire."\nIU's existing roster will be bolstered by an impressive group of freshman who will be fighting for starting positions.\n"On paper, they're the best class that we've ever brought in," associate head coach Trish Betthauser said. "Their skill level is much higher than any other class that we've brought in. What's more exciting is the hunger that they have. They're here because they truly want to win a championship here."\nWith such youth and talent only one thing remains squarely in IU's crosshairs for this season: The Big Dance.\n"The NCAA Tournament berth is a goal of ours," Bennett said. "That's what we want."\n-- Contact staff writer Dan Patrick at djpatric@indiana.edu.