McDonald's launches new Monopoly game Tuesday

OAK BROOK, Ill. -- McDonald's Corp. is launching a new Monopoly game promotion with Best Buy Co. Inc. on Tuesday, two years after the fast-food giant's last Monopoly effort ended in a multi-million-dollar scam.\nThe Monopoly Best Chance game runs through Nov. 10 or while distribution supplies last, at participating McDonald's restaurants nationwide and in Guam.\nMcDonald's said customers can win from $50 to $1 million in cash, SUVs and McDonald's food prizes. They also can earn a variety of electronic prizes from Best Buy, ranging from handhelds and wireless phones to video game systems, high-definition TVs and home entertainment systems.\nMonopoly promotions typically have been big money-makers for the nation's largest restaurant company, attracting extra business. But the last one ended badly in August 2000 when McDonald's and the FBI announced that an employee of Simon Marketing, which ran it, had distributed winning game pieces to promotions such as "Monopoly" and "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" to a network of accomplices.\nMcDonald's established an advisory board of outside experts to ensure that this promotion avoids similar trouble.\n"Historically, the Monopoly game at McDonald's has been a favorite among our customers," said Brian O'Mara, McDonald's national marketing director. "We're thrilled that Monopoly is back at McDonald's."\nMike Linton, Best Buy's chief marketing officer, said the combination of three strong national brands adds up to a unique and exciting promotion.\nMonopoly game pieces will be distributed to McDonald's customers purchasing hash browns and certain size fries and drinks. Some will reveal an instant-win message, while prizes also can be won by acquiring Monopoly properties of the same color.\nIn addition, an additional Chance game piece found on large and super-size fries will give customers at least a $1 Best Buy Buck or a chance to win a gift card valued at up to $5,000 for Best Buy merchandise.