Young owner, founder guides Festers' growth

When Aaron Steele opened Uncle Fester's House of Blooze, 430 E. Kirkwood Ave., in October 2000, there was no question spring break was a prominent thought in his mind. \n"It all started back in 1995 when I, along with four of my buddies, piled in to a 1978 Ford Bronco and set out for an unforgettable week of partying in Key West, Fla.," Steele said.\nHis inspiration came when they hit a traffic jam in Atlanta, Ga. As they began to pick up speed, they spotted a dog that had been hit by a car. They slowed down to glance at the monstrosity and one of his friends described the dogs head as "festered up." The word stuck as a way to describe their behavior from the crazy nights they encountered that week. \n"It was such a beautiful term, so we used it then and even today," Steele said. "It just seemed appropriate to name my bar after such a historic event." \nSteele attended Butler University in Indianapolis, receiving an undergraduate degree in political science, Spanish and international studies. After graduation in 1996, he decided to work as a bartender in Broad Ripple. He continued at several locations for the next five years, including a bartending job in Costa Rica.\nSteele said it was almost inevitable that he would ultimately own a bar; in fact, it's in his blood. His grandfather and uncle owned several bars in various parts of southern Indiana, and his aunt currently owns a bar in Key West. \nOn Oct. 13, 2000, the former BW-3 Bloomington, Inc., officially became Uncle Fester's House of Blooze, a place that would become the Kirkwood spot to listen to bands from all over the nation. \nAs the bar approaches its 3-year anniversary, Steele and his newfound partner and long-time cousin, Keenan Gill, are taking Festers to a whole new level. Within the next two weeks, Uncle Fester's Jungle Room Bar and Grill will officially take over the vacant spot next door that was once Panda Palace Chinese restaurant. \nThe restaurant will be attached to the House of Blooze, and the two spots will hopefully bring in a larger variety of clientele.\n"We are quadrupling our operating hours and square footage," Steele said. "Our hours will run from 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. so we'll be serving lunch, happy hour, dinner and late night food around the clock." \nThe cousins planned the atmosphere and design of the restaurant entirely by themselves. Pool tables, arcade games and a variety of innovative art work will be displayed throughout both venues. \n"Aaron has been great with supporting local artists, everything from sculptures to photographs," Gill said. It will also feature four local beers on tap, wines from Oliver Winery and local produce wherever it is practicable. \n"We really try to make our business community-oriented because the local residents are our biggest supporters," Gill said. \nSteele and Gill have added 25 new employees to their staff of 12 in order to prepare for their expansion. They are making slight physical changes in the current bar, such as clearing out more seating and enlarging the dance floor in order to make the connection between the areas smooth and subtle. \n"Fester's caters to a completely different audience than any other bar on Kirkwood," Steele said. "We are the only place that brings in live music anywhere from national recording artists to local cover bands."\nSenior Sean Nightingale, who said he is an avid fan of jam bands, is a regular client at Uncle Fester's. \n"Unlike any other bar in Bloomington, Fester's has live music every night and the customers are actually there to see the bands," he said. "It is hands down my favorite music venue in Bloomington."\nSteele and Gill said they are anxiously anticipating the opening of the new addition and expect it to be a positive new hangout for current and potential clients. Gill, an IU graduate who practiced law in Indianapolis before joining his cousin, is embarking on a totally new experience. \n"Aaron and I work really well together and we are literally like night and day," he said. "I come open up in the morning and he stays late and closes."\nSteele said he believes the most important thing to remember when starting your own business is to see the big picture, work toward a goal and keep your chin up, even on the bad days.\n"My greatest pleasure comes when I see my customers having a good time," he said. "It is the most fulfilling reward to watch things that you worked for play in to action." \nFor more information and the full "Uncle Fester's" story visit www.festered.net