Who wants an internship?

The competition is fierce this fall as students struggle to get their foot in the door at any one of the hundreds of companies that are visiting IU. Many would argue that an internship will provide you with the best method for securing your first job in corporate America. Students, not wanting to become part of the 6.1 percent of Americans without jobs, are quick to take internships with the companies that appear at IU's career days and internship fairs. However, if the company you ultimately want to work for does not recruit at IU, then you're on your own.\nMany students, business and otherwise, would like to intern for an entertainment company such as AOL Time Warner or Sony, with the hope of beginning a career in television, film, performing arts, or music. However, these companies do not recruit at IU. \nDuring the summer of 2003, I was an intern for Turner Broadcasting, an AOL Time Warner company in Atlanta. I worked in a division of the company called Turner Network Sales, the division responsible for selling Turner programming to cable companies. \nMany students fear their major and choice of college is what will determine their job and success. Non-business majors will be pleased to know that very few of the Turner employees that I spoke to were business majors. In addition, their educational backgrounds ranged from community college to Big Ten universities. \n"The major doesn't really matter that much unless you're a lawyer or accountant," said Shannon Ponsell, vice president of operations at Turner Network Sales.\nVicki Venezia, legal projects manager, said the important thing is the skills graduates have.\n"There is no major in college that can fully prepare anyone for any job," she said.\nWhile knowledge of business concepts such as accounting, marketing, operations and strategy always sounds good, it really doesn't seem to be the focus of most of these companies' work. Such concepts are different from company to company, and you always have to relearn them. The most important skills every employee is expected to have coming in are written and verbal communication skills. \nStudents hear that their written and verbal communication skills are vital to their success, and the reason for it is because it's true. Many students laugh this advice off and assume that everyone already has written and verbal skills.\n"It is not until a student first experiences a professional job or internship that they will learn very quickly just how mediocre their skills are," administration manager Pam Cheatham said. \nThe importance of every e-mail, letter, package, conversation, meeting and conference is stressed heavily. If even the slightest mistakes are made in this vital communication, someone will notice the mistake very quickly.\nThe second most important set of skills to have today is computer literacy. Brian Ross, a sales assistant right out of college, commented how his knowledge of Microsoft Office has been invaluable to his time with Turner Network Sales.\nAnother emphasized skill to possess is humility, a skill many students seem to lack. \n"Be humble," Venezia said. "Don't go in as if you know everything because you just graduated from college. Big deal." \nShe said most people learn very quickly that all college does is prove you can be taught, which is a good thing, but it doesn't sell you for the position. \n"You have to exhibit the fact that you actually did learn something and you want to combine that humble knowledge with everything that you can learn from those who have been in the field for years," Venezia said. " You will learn 1,000 times more on the job than you ever did in school. Know that because the interviewer and potential co-workers definitely do."\nIt is also important to make it known that you are interested in learning everything the company has to offer. Let them know that you are not too good to do grunt work because wherever you go, that will be the first thing you get stuck doing. \n"Your attitude has to be 'I'll do whatever it takes,'" Executive Vice President of Marketing Coleman Breland said. "You have to really love what you're doing. You have to be a sponge and soak everything up."\nOf course these characteristics are only a part of the qualities that companies such as Turner are searching for in employees. A person must be able to conduct a good interview and be an innovative thinker. The ability to think innovatively requires four steps: vision, creativity, determination and charisma. \nLisa Richardson, vice president of partnership marketing, said everyone has the capacity for this form of thinking. But before an individual can even demonstrate these qualities he or she must perform well in the interview.\n"Do your homework," said Senior Vice President of PR/Communications Jim Weiss. "Find out about the company and position you're applying for. Know about the people interviewing you and be literate of the overall industry. The interview is a game." \nVenezia said it is an immediate turnoff when an applicant says they have no questions. \n"You are potentially about to change your life and you have no questions? Not a good sign," she said.\nMy internship at Turner proved to be an enlightening experience for me as I learned a lot about not only the entertainment industry but about the rules of the "real world." My father called it an investment in my future, and looking back, I couldn't agree with him more.