Dean Dalton stresses ethics

Taking the opportunity to use corporate scandals to educate students, Kelley School of Business Dean Dan Dalton talked ethics with about 80 students last Tuesday.\nDalton's speech, "A Conversation on Applied Ethics," was part of the Civic Leadership Development's February Civic Series.\nDalton's talk was interactive. He presented cases to students and asked them to analyze the ethical behavior involved and any alternatives that were possible.\n"This was a great opportunity to discuss with the dean a topic that is very prominent in today's corporate world," said sophomore Seth Schrank. "Being able to discuss this critical component of business in an open forum like the Civic Series was a great experience."\nIt was important the program was led by the dean of the business school, said sophomore Scott Lesht, the Civic Series meetings director and a member of the group's executive board.\n"He did a real nice job speaking, he always supports our organization," Lesht said. \nOne of the most important things Lesht said he hopes students take from the event is that there are ethical implications in everything one does.\n"Ethical situations arise every day in people's lives and it's the same for me," he said. "Even little things have ethical implications and it's how you deal with the situations that come up that define you as a person, and your ethical backbone."\nThe people committing white-collar crimes are often capable intelligent businesspeople, Lesht said, but do the wrong things because they think they can bend the rules. Students should use their intelligence to do things ethically, Lesht said.\n"I think that students need to take the perspective that we have the skills to do things the right way and it's a matter of us choosing to do it the right way," he said. "You shouldn't act unethically because ... it reflects on your company and your personal integrity."\nCivic Leadership Development is a community service learning and leadership program open to students admitted to the Kelley School of Business. Students work with nonprofit organizations to supplement their education, learning about the importance and role of the nonprofit sector.\nIn order to get involved, business students can register at www.kelley.indiana.edu/civic.