Research finds sex education lacking

Study calls for better condom education, HIV and STD protection

The campaign for safe sex began dominating headlines more than 10 years ago in response to the rise in reported HIV cases. But, now, a study conducted at IU says more than safe sex must be promoted; proper condom education is also essential.\nResearchers from IU and Emory University in Atlanta, Ga. surveyed 361 male IU students from November 2000 to January 2001 on topics relating to condom error. While previous research and studies have shown the consistent usage of latex condoms provides highly effective protection against HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, there was not a sufficient amount of knowledge regarding condom usage errors and other problems.\n"We have known for quite some time that it is vital to get the message out to sexually active young people about the importance of consistent condom use," said lead study author Richard A. Crosby, Ph.D., who works at Emory University's Center for AIDS Research. "This research suggests that promoting consistent condom use may not be enough. It is important to provide adequate condom use education and skills-building instruction so that sexually active young men know how to use condoms correctly."\nThe research team selected men who identified themselves as heterosexual, reported they had never been married and had put condoms on themselves in the previous three months. One hundred, fifty eight out of the 361 men fit the criteria. The study, entitled "Condom Use Errors and Problems Among College Men" says 15 percent removed condoms before ending sex, and 43 percent put condoms on after starting sex. Technical error statistics said 75 percent did not check condoms for visible damage, 61 percent did not check the expiration date, and 30 percent put the condom on wrong side up and had to flip it over. Forty two percent reported they wanted a condom but did not have one, while 18 percent said there was a problem with the condom but did not have another available. In terms of communication, 60 percent of the men did not discuss condom use before sex with their partner. \nThis evidence is conclusive of the lack of proper condom knowledge among the study sample. But, these numbers only mirror a particular demographic. \n"We can only speculate as to how these results reflect on the bigger population," said co-author Cynthia A. Graham. "But, presumably the percentages of error would be much higher, considering this study sample was college-educated men."\nGraham, who works with IU's Kinsey Institute, said condoms do not come with instructions, creating some of these technical errors. \nThe absence of proper condom instructions or condom education most likely contributed to the 29 percent of participants reporting condom breakage and the 13 percent who said the condom slipped off during sex, Graham said.\n"These problems are likely the result of condom use errors rather than defects in the condom itself, which, again highlights the need for better condom education and instruction," Crosby said.\nThe Kinsey Institute's Web site, www.indiana.edu/~kisiss, contains links to a number of health institutions, which contain condom information and education material. Information and articles regarding HIV, STDs and condoms can also be located on the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's Web site, www.cdc.gov.