Being a kid is so much easier

When I was young, I was completely in love with Peter Pan. I wanted to remain a child forever, and hoped every night the eternally innocent boy would come to my window and save me from the inevitable fate of growing up. \nThis wasn't just a simple musing. I was resolute in my belief that he must come, and I absolutely must not become an adult. I went so far as to wear my prettiest pair of pajamas every night for a time, so as not to be stranded in Never Never Land sporting an old, mundane baseball t-shirt. Needless to say, I was a bit consumed with the idea of forever being seven years old and living among mermaids, pirates, lost boys, fairies and a charmingly mischievous boy who could fly.\nBut, he never came. I eventually became accustomed to, and even embraced the idea of growing up. Yet, every now and again, even at the ripe age of 20, I wish to escape the challenging responsibilities accompanied with aging and be whisked away to that care-free, whimsical island in the sky -- you know, second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.\nThis childhood wish comes when that line between dependent daughter and financial independent becomes increasingly more blurred. The reality that sooner rather than later I will be on my own is strikingly clear. Though this autonomy is something I've desperately craved, at the same time, I just want to be a kid and leave taxes, bills, bank accounts and mortgages to my dad.\nBeing a kid, you worry about your abilities to beat up your older sister, whether or not Lindsey will invite you to her sleepover, coloring inside the lines, glue bottles versus glue sticks, who to sit next to at lunch and getting home from school in time to watch the last five minutes of your favorite cartoon.\nBeing a kid, you don't have to worry about degree requirements, post-college plans, serious relationships, President Bush's Homeland Security Bill, fat content in McDonald's french fries, U.S. plans to invade Iraq, the death penalty, corrupt business corporations, global warming, the stock market and beyond. Or maybe kids do fear some of these things. It seems today's youth are growing up way too fast and distressed over way too many adult matters. This summer I worked as a counselor at a day camp, and was dazed and dismayed by the worries these children carried with them. One eight year old girl thought she was too fat and didn't want to eat lunch. After a boy's dog passed away, he talked incessantly of the desire to die. Others cursed, completely and excitedly described violent acts from movies and real life,10-year-old boys referred to "getting with girls," and girls dressed not at all like how I did when I was eleven.\nCertainly, after Sept. 11, children's perceptions have widened and their awarenesses have heightened to their surrounding world. The "gay and heartless" characteristics of childhood that J.M. Barrie detailed are evolving into something of the past.\nWhile I occasionally yearn for that Never Never Land to run away from the unavoidable realities that come with being an authentic adult, I am concerned today's children don't spend enough time reveling in their imaginations and play lands. I hope they aren't worrying about the big grown-up stuff quite yet.\nWhere's Peter Pan when you need him?