Suspects arrested in local hold-ups

Bloomington Police have arrested a suspect associated with a Bloomington burglary and an armed robbery in Ellettsville. \nJoshua R. Vestal, 19, was arrested yesterday in association with an armed burglary at the Heatherwood Trailer Park, Captain Joseph Qualters of the Bloomington Police Department said. On Wednesday, Feb. 13, Vestal and Jacob D. Maddox, 20, held one male, his girlfriend and her 8-year-old daughter at gunpoint in their Bloomington residence at 3500 Heatherwood Lane. As the two suspects were inspecting the residence, the three escaped out a back window and made their way to a neighbor's house where they called the police, Qualters said. \nWhen the police arrived, they noticed a maroon, four-door Chevy leaving Heatherwood. They found no one at the home but spoke to the residents. The residents were not forthcoming about what was taken from the apartment, Qualters said. Upon questioning by the BPD, Vestal admitted that he stole two marijuana plants.\nThe next day, Maddox and David J. Shaevitz, 20, entered the Bigfoot at 504 W. Temperance St. in Ellettsville, said Officer Alva Bohall of the Ellettsville Police Department.\n"The suspects took approximately $300 in cash and a couple cartons of Newport Cigarettes," Bohall said. \nMaddox ordered the clerk to stay on the floor for 10 minutes. Maddox, Shaevitz and a third subject got into a car and fled the scene. \nAfter the subjects left, the clerk reached for the phone under the counter and called the police. \nShaevitz turned himself in to the Ellettsville police and both were arrested on Friday, Monroe County Jail officials said. Shaevitz was charged for robbery with a firearm. Maddox was also charged for robbery with a firearm, and additionally with criminal recklessness and possession of marijuana. Both are still being held at the Monroe County Jail on $40,000 bond.\nOn Sunday, the Bloomington police were given a lead by the Heatherwood resident, who described one of the suspects. The police went to Vestal's residence, knowing that he was connected with Maddox. The maroon Chevy was parked at his residence and he matched the description given to the police, Qualters said.\nVestal admitted to police his involvement in the Heatherwood burglary after being taken to the BPD. He was arrested and initially charged with burglary, a class B felony; confinement, a class B felony. and intimidation, a class C felony.