Jeffries brings long resume to team

Top recruit looks to become 'King of the Court'

The tattoo on Jared Jeffries' shoulder proclaims him "King of the Court."\n It's a bold statement of confidence from the freshman forward. But with his list of awards and developing talent, it's understandable that Jeffries has a lot of confidence. \nHe was named Gatorade Player of the Year, Indiana's Mr. Basketball, won the Indiana High School Athletic Association Trestlet Award and played for the U.S. Junior National Team. ESPN.com lists him as the No. 6 freshman in the country and college basketball analyst Andy Katz predicts Jeffries to win national freshman of the year honors.\nWith such a resume and a 27-point performance in IU's first exhibition game, Jeffries realizes he will have a lot of attention this entire season. \n"I love the spotlight. I love being out there," Jeffries said. "If you want to be a great player, you have to know how to shine when the spotlight is on you."\nHis teammates said they know Jeffries will contribute to the Hoosiers' success.\n"He's an unbelievable player," sophomore guard Kyle Hornsby said. "He's doing everything we need him to do. He's got to keep improving and not be satisfied with how he's playing."\nAt 6-foot-9, Jeffries is able to play each of the positions, including point guard. Interim head coach Mike Davis said this will create matchup problems for other teams.\n"If it's a big guy guarding me, I like to be on the point," Jeffries said. "But if he's small, I'll take him in the post."\nAlthough he was one of the most highly-recruited freshmen in the country, Jeffries said he isn't satisfied with his game. He said he knows there is plenty of room for improvement despite averaging 23.9 points, 10.4 rebounds per game and 4.2 assists per game.\n"I have plenty of flaws," Jeffries said. "I don't play hard all the time. I'm not very strong. I rush my shot. Sometimes I get in foul trouble. I play upright too much and don't get down on offense or defense. Sometimes I lose focus and you won't even know I'm out there. \n"I have many flaws, but thankfully they're all things I can correct."\nHe played well enough to impress Athletes in Action coach Chuck Badger in IU's 84-74 victory Nov. 5.\n"He hit that little penetration jumper about three or feet away and he took (our player) to the hole, and (our guy) is a professional. Jeffries plays like an experienced player," Badger said. \nBut he's not even 20 years old, and he still likes to go home. He said he eats dinner with his family several times a week, and he takes dirty laundry home for his mom to wash. As a senior at Bloomington High School North, he began socializing with current teammate sophomore Jeffrey Newton.\n"Even last year, when he was in high school, we hung out a lot," said Newton, one of Jeffries' roommates. "We are around each other all the time. We play a lot of Playstation and Dreamcast. We get into a lot heated battles with Andre (Owens) and A.J. (Moye)."\nWith all of his honors, Jeffries might have the option of heading to the NBA after this season. But he's not thinking about that option until the time comes. He said if Davis is not retained as IU's coach next year, he'll have to think a little harder about turning pro.\n"Coach will weigh in on the decision," Jeffries said. "I mean, I just can't overlook it. If something goes down, I have to think about what I want to do"